I work from the house at least two days a week and I would not give that up at this point for much. However, there are times when having the home office in the house can be a bit problematic — such as when Mr. Grey bursts into the office while I’m on a conference call. For some time now, I’ve been wondering if it would be feasible to build an office in a shed. It turns out, I’m not the first person to think of this and there is actually a bit of a disorganized movement in the UK centered around working from home in a shed. I have to say that I find the concept of Shedworking highly intriguing, but I’m not sure if it would work for me.
- A workspace in a shed get me out of the house when I am WFH
- A shed workspace would be mine and all mine – a man space
- A shed workspace could be more than an office, it could be a studio for my art projects
- I would need get permits most likely for the space
- It would require electiricy, heat, and AC
- I’d need to ensure that it was physically secure
- The neighbors might not like me having two sheds on the property.
I certainly haven’t thought this all the way through, but it is an interesting idea. And perhaps one worth exploring. Maybe when we replace the dilapidated shed that is nearing 20 years old, I should double it’s size. Of course, then it would be a barn really…Maybe I could have livestock.