B&O Railroad Museam with Mr. Grey

Yesterday morning I woke up to more rain.  It seems like it’s been raining for days — certainly all weekend.  As I made coffee and botched some pancakes up bad, I thought about how to keep this day from being a disaster.  Three days stuck inside in a row was not gonna cut it with Mr. Grey.

He has been interested in trains ever since he was old enough to crawl.  We used to have to read the book The Little Red Caboose over and over.  “Boose Book, Booossseee BOOOOK!!!!”  Lately, he’s been really into Thomas the Train.  Thank god for Video on Demand!  So, I thought about taking him to the B&O Railroad museum.

Not being completely aware of the time change, I asked Mr. Grey if he’d like to go see some real trains and he enthusiastically said yes, then went to the front door.  It was 9:30.  The museum doesn’t open on a Sunday until 11.  We’d have to pass some time.

We left the house at 10:00 and went to the hardware store, where I bought some white lithium grease and a 1 1/2 adjustable wrench for my singlespeed project (need to repack the bearings in the headset).  This took all of 5 minutes.  We still had an hour to pass and we’re only a 20 minute drive.  So, Papa and I took Mr. Grey to the Donut Shack.

He ate my donut.  (Mr. Grey not Papa).  Apparently, he’s decided he really likes chocolate and my donut was more interesting than his since it had chocolate on it.  After sufficiently wasting passing time there, we headed out to the museum.

Mr. Grey fell asleep.  So did Papa.

We got to the Museum and I woke up the other two caballeros and headed into the train museum.  Mr. Grey loved it.  He was particularly interested in the red caboose cars (3 of them on site) and we sat in one for a good 15 minutes.  We also explored some old steam engines and some passenger cars.  Then we took a short ride in a train.

After the museum, I took Mr. Grey and Papa to my all time favorite deli.  Attmans on Lombard St.  What a great place!  I had my usual Corned Beef, Rye, Mustard and a Dr. Browns (actually the Dr. Browns is a change up, it’s replaced welches grape soda in this lunch).  I got Mr. Grey a hotdog complete with a slice of bologna.  He didn’t eat it, but he clobbered about half of one of their dill pickles.  Papa thoroughly enjoyed his two hot dogs.

The three of us headed home and I took a nap.  I was pretty sure that Mr. Grey really had a good time as I was getting him ready for bed last night, but it wasn’t until this morning that I really knew how much fun he’d had.

This morning, as I was driving to work the phone rang.  Mrs. TKD was calling at 6:49 AM to let me know that Mr. Grey was upset because he couldn’t “hang-out” with daddy today.  So, I guess he really had a good time yesterday, which rocks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s